1-1: Overview of Global Change
||1-1: En Español||
||1-1: Em Português|
Importance of this Unit to the Course
In this unit we provide an overview of
the changes occurring in the global environment and discuss the importance of understanding
these issues in order to make informed choices in our patterns of personal use of earth's
resources and to make informed choices in selecting political and economic leaders who are
mindful of global change issues.
- To understand the importance of global environmental change.
- To identify the general areas of our environment that are changing
and explore the potential consequences of these changes.
Discussion (You must complete this section before class.)
- Read the summary information.
(Print text for offline
review; images only)
- Take the Quiz over
the summary information. (see your portfolio)
- Review additional reading material (this material is not covered in the
quiz, but offers more ideas for online discussion)
Discussion (online /
face-to-face) (See your portfolio for due dates and times)
A major component of the course is participation in the online dialog.
The following types of comments are required:
The following may be used as discussion starters for the online dialog:
- Social Comments
- Knowledge-building Comments
- Ethical Comments
- Unit Problem to Ponder:
What distinguishes a "global change" environmental issue from other environmental issues?
- Unit exam questions from
- Unit discussions from previous years, available from
online discussion page