2-12: Integrated Global Observing Systems
Importance of this Unit to the Course
We have seen in previous units how change in the global environment occurs
on many time scales. Long term accurate measurements of earth system variables
are needed to detect and monitor these changes.
- To understand why changes in our global environment call for an
integrated system of making scientific measurements and observations of
the entire planet.
- To understand the challenges and impediments to making long-term
global observations of the Earth's systems.
Preparation for Discussion
(You must complete this section before class.)
- Read the
- Take the
- Review additional reading material (this material is not covered in the
quiz, but offers more ideas for online discussion)
(See your portfolio for due dates and times)
A major component of the course is participation in the online dialog.
The following types of comments are required:
The following may be used as discussion starters for the online dialog:
- Social Comments
- Knowledge-building Comments
- Ethical Comments
- Unit Problem to Ponder:
What does it mean that global observing systems should be "integrated"?
- Unit exam questions
from previous years
- Unit discussions from previous years, available from
the current online